Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What DO You Want From LIFE?

In 1975, on their debut album, San Francisco-based rockers The Tubes asked one simple question:

“What do you want from life?”

A question most people have an answer for.

“A new job.”

Makes sense.

“To be fifty pounds lighter.”

Me too.

“To be rich.”

Who doesn’t?

“To sleep with that hot guy from the Twilight movie.”

Ok...

But if you really thought about what you want from life, how would you answer?

Would you answer honestly, or MORE honestly, given time to think?

Or, would you answer, “Nothing”?

I’ve been asking this question of myself for a decade.

In that time, I’ve:

Annoyed friends and family with mindless “what do I want from life” rants.

Listened to said song for inspiration.

Worked at a half-dozen jobs.

Had a couple of girlfriends.

Gone back to school in 2006 and got my English degree from Memorial University.

But with a new year upon us, I had to ask myself point blank:

What do YOU want from life?

So I decided it was time to take inventory.

I’m thirty-six years old, I’m unemployed, and I live at home with my folks.

Until I started to do something proactive last November, I was fat (still are, big guy, but keep working on it, you’re not as fat as you used to be), and I was a smoker (good job quitting, by the way. Cold turkey no less).

I’m bald (it’s only hair, keep it cut REAL short and no one will notice the receding hairline.)

I’ve never travelled anywhere (meaning I’ve never been on a plane, and I’ve never left the province of Newfoundland. And no, St. Pierre doesn’t count.)

I’ve been single for the last six years.

I don’t own a car.

My wardrobe consists of ragged jeans, sweats, and rock ‘n’ roll t-shirts. (I FINALLY got my Speak of the Devil ’83 Tour t-shirt.)

I don’t own an iPhone. I do own an iPod. (Yes, What Do You Want from Life is there.)

I don’t own a single CD. I do have every Frank Zappa album ever released. (Even Cruising with Reuben & the Jets? Yup.)

My television isn’t HD. It’s fifteen years old. (It’s only twenty-seven inches. But size isn’t important, right?)

I have a very supportive and loving family. (Thankfully.)

I have great friends. Some who I’ve known for over thirty years. (All of them are insane.)

Quite a list. Some trivial, some important.

Still doesn’t answer the question.

Instead it brings up more questions.

Who decides what life is made up of?

How can I answer the question with “Nothing.”

Let’s take things in order.

Age?

Can’t change that.

Job?

You work forty hours a week at your job. Maybe more.

Jobs are central to our lives.

The problem is so many people have a JOB, when what they’re seeking is a CAREER.

A career is something you do your entire life.

A career can encompass different jobs.

See how that works?

I’ve yet to nail down the JOB that is part of the CAREER I want to pursue.

I want to be a writer.

I’ve yet to find a steady job doing that, thus forcing me to work jobs that I dislike.

Thus delaying me from starting my career.

So I keep looking for a better opportunity.

Living at home?

That will change according to this formula: well-paying job + saving some cash x repairing slightly damaged credit / paying down as much existing debt while living at home = situation not changing any time soon.

Fat?

I’m working on that.

And it’s been hard work.

Since I quit smoking and started working out (over a year ago) I’ve lost about fifty pounds.

And I can breathe again.

Next step: seeing my doctor and improving my diet.

Bald?

That’s why God invented hair clippers, and the buzz-cut.

Travelling?

A similar formula to living at home. This time you replace the square root of y with the divisor of x (y*z)....

I never was good at math.

Money, as is the case with all of life’s problems, would solve that equation.

Not that I have a great desire to travel, but it would be nice to be able to if I wanted to.

Single?

No job and no place of my own are factors in this.

And, quite honestly, I’m not looking.

Sure, there are things I miss, not having a girlfriend.

Sex. Companionship.

Right now I don’t have my life together.

So why drag someone else into that?

Car?

Money. The six cars I owed were money traps.

Used cars break down and become unreliable.

New cars have monthly payments.

Both have insurance and gas.

So I’m thankful that I don’t own car.

Down the road, it will be a necessity.

Wardrobe?

Not a concern.

As long as I’m comfortable, I’m happy.

Gadgets, electronics, and toys?

I’d love to get a new TV.

A Playstation 3 would be nice.

But an iPhone?

Nah.

My cell phone is fine. As is my iPod.

Family and friends?

Essential.

I don’t have very much, but I would have much less without my family and friends.

My folks have been patient and understanding; letting me stay here while I get myself together.

My friends are supportive and encouraging; especially Jason, who has helped me save a ton in gym membership fees.

I’m grateful to have a great network like that behind me.

So, what do I want from life?

To be thirty-six, employed, and living on my own.

With a good job. One I enjoy. Pays well enough. (No, I don’t expect I will enjoy it every day. Rather naive to think that about any job.)

I DO want to lose fifty more pounds.

Maybe to travel. A little. A golf trip. Somewhere warm.

I’m ok with being single.

A new car. No preference as to what kind. As long as it’s reliable.

My wardrobe will stay the same.

A new TV and PS3, so I can join the 21st century.

Already set with family and friends.

Who decides what life is made up of?

Me.

How can I answer “nothing?”

You’ll have to keep reading.

3 comments:

  1. I've taken a few days to digest this, because I think most of us have been in a similar position at some stage in our lives, whether it be living at home, unemployed, single, struggling with weight, or all of the above combined at the one time! So what you've written has resonated with me, and I'm sure with others too.

    I think the thing to remember is, it won't always be like this. No-one's life is perfect at all times, when you're 90 with a brood of grandchildren and great grandchildren surrounding you (and possibly a hot blonde 20-something third wife, with any luck) you'll look back on this stage of your life as being just that, a stage.

    You have already done so much to improve your situation - giving up cigarettes, losing 50lb (you're my GOD!) going back to university, getting your degree...it's only a matter of time before the rest of your life follows suit. Look at it this way, a couple of years ago you didn't have your degree and were probably less likely to get that well-paid enjoyable job/career. So, you fixed that. You got the degree, it stands to reason that the job is coming. Ok, it's taking its time getting here, but it's coming, you WILL work again! (And, obviously, the South will rise again, also. Or something.)

    I get what you mean about wanting a career, but if you find a job, outside of your writing interest, that pays the bills and will give you a life, take it! Writing is free, write whenever, start a personal blog, write letters to your local newspaper, write the novel you've been talking about. You can have a job you don't particularly enjoy right now which is just a stopgap to pay the bills AND write, the two aren't mutually exclusive! If you're waiting for that perfect career/job....you could be waiting a long time! And missing out on a hell of a lot while you're doing so. Also, writing is such a personal thing, I don't believe there is an 'official' start time when you can say 'I'm a writer now because of x, y or z' personally, I think you're a writer from the second you put pen to paper and put your work out there into the universe. So stop looking for the start of your 'career' as a writer, it was a long time ago, you're ALREADY a writer! Nothing is delaying your carer as a writer, the very fact that you've written this post proves that. Even though I hate people who repeat themselves - you are already a writer!

    I think we could all pick apart our lives as you have and find fault with certain things or want to improve certain things, but I think you should focus on the achievements you've already, er, achieved, the goals you've already reached. Don't be so hard on yourself!

    Just a word of advice - and this is just my opinion - but don't be so quick to dismiss a relationship. Sure not having a job right now or your own place is a factor, but it shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle. A job and an apartment are not the only things you have to offer a girl Geoff, those are things that are coming, that are on the way. In the meantime you have YOU to offer - there are plenty of guys out there with apartments, with money, with jobs, with flash cars, but a lot of the time, they're two dimensional. They offer nothing beyond the superficial and they want nothing in return beyond the superficial. I think, actually, I know that you are different. You have so much to offer and the superficial aspect - the job the car the money - is only a teeny, tiny, miniscule part of what a woman wants. You ask, why bring someone into your situation when it's not perfect - but I say why not? Why not share your life with someone? Why not fall in love? I feel like a pushy Irish mother here, forcing you to go out and find a nice respectable girl (or maybe not so respectable, way hey!) so forgive me. I just thing you're almost cutting off your nose to spite your face by waiting for your life to be perfect before you allow yourself to find a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great comment earlier on here which i thought posted ok, but no, as usual computers hate me! I'll see if i can find it! grr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it is, i commented in the wrong post!sheesh

    My job doesn't fill me with too much joy every day, and I think Declan would say same about his, but I try to take some elements out of it that I do enjoy, so it makes it slightly easier. And we both try our best to do the thing we love to do, photography.

    I would love to have a photography related job, but I can hang on for another little while i guess. Dreams can take a sabbatical. Just not for too long for some I suppose, and rightly so.

    I am very glad to see that there are some things in your life lately that are getting well on track. The weight loss and health and also the quitting smoking has come along great and I know that you will stick to it!

    Here is to hoping that a great job will come along real soon and pay brilliantly! And if not the first writing work you put out could bring you that windfall!

    And dont forget about me and Deckers when that fortune comes through! Western Union reaches Ireland! :-)

    ReplyDelete