Friday, May 8, 2009

No title?

That last poem was written in about 10 minutes.I'm not saying that to brag, by any means. But I felt inspired, and that was the result.

I am a very sporadic writer. I can go for days and days, and not write anything. Then in 10 minutes I can write 500 words. Some may wonder how in the world I ever get anything done, but it somehow seems to work for me.

Some of the poetry does contain dark images. Some of the images do really reflect the way I feel. But in no way do I feel as down as it might seem. Sure, I am going through a rough stretch right now, with only my workout routine being the real bright light (I have lost 30 pounds in six months, and I am saying that to brag). But I don't quite feel as down as some of my writing might make it seem.

Back to the way I write.

I wrote an essay on this exact subject for my creative non-fiction class as part of my diploma program. Sort of a journal of the process of me writing the essay, which itself was a chronicle of how I wrote it (and other pieces in general).

The essay was very well received by my classmates (who were a tough group of critics, I have to say). But my professor wasn't so tied to it. He was at first, but the more he read it, the more he felt like it was lazy writing. He also said it's the type of story you get away with once and only once.

I loved writing it. It gave me a chance to be funny (which a lot of people tell me I am good at), and it really captured the lack of style that I guess is my style.

Maybe I will have to post it here for everyone to read.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, post it. We still haven't made this site into the artistic collective it needs to be.

    As far as writing/creating goes, that's what they call "the muse", I suppose. Ideas can strike at any time, and that's when the work gets done. Ever hear of Anthony Trollope? He actually wrote on a schedule before he went to work each day, and was criticized for doing it. "Real" writers, people said, would never write on a fixed time schedule. That said, I like his novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of him, no.

    And that must be difficult, writing on schedule. Life can be structured and scheduled enough, without having to be creative on time each & every day.

    ReplyDelete