Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Big Decision Part 2

In the midst of making the decision to go home, I've thought about the strange irony of the whole thing. In many ways, I have more opportunity, and can have a better life, right where I am now, rather than in Canada. Studying and teaching English is a huge business; its pretty much a necessity for most people in the world to know English. Thus, jobs are plentiful, and not ridiculously hard to find. Most jobs require a university degree in any discipline. For some of the higher end jobs, you do need experience and/or ESL teaching credentials, but I have these.

Consider what I would have to do to teach in NL. First, complete my "honors" BA. Second, complete my B.Ed. Third, probably complete a M.Ed. Fourth, get on the "substitute list". Fifth, hope something long term comes along. Worth it? I'm not sure.

I could "parlay" my business/accounting education into a job, but here again, what would it be? Probably a junior accounting clerk (in other words, data-entry). Worth it? Not sure.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these jobs/career paths, but I just don't know how willing I am to do these things.

Consider the cost of living. I admit that some foreign teaching jobs "spoil" people, in a way, so that a lot of the things necessary for life back home aren't necessary here. Can you believe I've never owned a car in my life? Probably the average person my age would have owned at least 3-4 cars by now, if not more. Owning a car here, however, would be ridiculously unnecessary, and I've never missed having one. Most schools, too, will pay for housing...so the need to buy/rent a house is removed.

I'm not saying these things to brag...just to show how woefully unprepared I am for living in my own country. Somehow, I don't think a lot of people will be impressed with the fact that I was teaching English abroad for the past 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment