Sunday, April 19, 2009

Coming Home

A very big decision, no question about it.

And I can see why you and Sandi want to come home.

But, as you well know, I am still out of work. It will soon be a year without a job. The economy is suffering world-wide right now. And Newfoundland has always been a funny job market. There is lots of work, but it's lower-end jobs that none of us want to be doing. We are all over-qualified for a lot of the jobs, and in some cases, under-qualified. The good thing about being where you both are is that with more people comes more opportunity. Coming home, that is going to change drastically.

I'm feeling the opposite of what you are both feeling. If something doesn't change soon, I am going to have to leave. There are very few writing jobs here. At least if I go abroad (AKA outside NL), there will be more jobs.

I don't want to go. I really don't. My roots are here. My friends are here. And most of my family are here. But no money and no opportunity equals having to take drastic action.

Having said that, things always seem to come around. I'm sure if I stay here they will eventually. But how long can I continue to do that?

2 comments:

  1. Exactly why I wrote this second post. I have a strong desire to come home and be where I "should" be, but am afraid that it'll be just as you say...either no jobs or unwanted jobs. It probably doesn't matter how good a teacher you are if you teach abroad, because most people think any loser with a white face can do it. Given the undoubted number of those kind of people let loose in the ESL teaching world, its not a completely wrong perception. So, I wouldn't cut much of a figure in the "real" world of Canadian jobs.

    Just goes to show that no situation or no place is completely good...there are always problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who does though? Getting a job is a totally random chance, a set of circumstances that can vary each and every time you apply.

    It can come down to the mood of the person hiring or interviewing. It can come down to timing (be it good or poor) and in rare cases it will come down to your experience. If your resume or cover letter have something that makes you stand out from everyone else, you have an edge. Other than that, there are no guarantees.

    The job market here is unusual, abundant, and erratic.

    I should know.

    ReplyDelete