Sunday, April 12, 2009

Poetry? Part Five

Another poem. Not getting many comments on them; I would really like to get feedback on these, as I may send some of them to get published.

I borrowed the sun for my project

I borrowed the sun for my project.
It was early in the morning.
He was free for a few hours.
He had already shone down on the masses.
He could spare me a few hours.
The sun tried to cram himself in my house.
But he couldn’t.
Not completely.
His rays shot out of the windows.
The doors.
Every crack and crevice in my house was alight.
I told him not to worry.
I only needed him for a few hours.
So he agreed.
We worked all day on my project.
It was tiring.
But the sun never faltered.
His rays shone as bright as they ever had.
Brilliant.
Powerful.
Breathtaking.
Suddenly, it was late.
I knew it was well past the sun’s bedtime.
He usually went to sleep around 8pm.
Now it was almost 9.
He left in a hurry.
Rays bouncing everywhere.
Light reflecting off of the mirror in the hall.
The heat he bore quickly slipping into the cool of the evening.
He left without saying goodbye.
The next day I went looking for the sun.
He was no where to be seen.
The day was blanketed in gray.
The sky was one large sheet of gloom.
The horizon was sad.
I sat alone, staring through the window of my house.
No sun.
My project was stalled.
It stayed that way for three whole days.
The sun never came out.
The gray sky sat firm while the sun took a break.
My project withered slightly.
But it did not break.
I sat in the same spot.
Waiting for the sun.
I watched the gray sky.
I followed the gray people.
I looked with pity at the blooming gray flowers.
I looked with sorrow at the swaying gray trees.
Three whole days passed.
No sun.
Lots of gray.
More gloom and melancholy.
Then early on the fourth day, the sun came.
He appeared slowly over the horizon.
His rays peering slowly across my front yard.
The slate of gray that was the sky was gone.
The gray flowers were a burst of yellow, red and pink.
The green of the trees swayed slightly in the early morning breeze.
I smiled.
I wanted to ask the sun about resuming my project.
My project had sat dormant for three whole days.
I needed the sun’s help in finishing it.
But as I gazed up at his ever-growing brilliance, I knew.
I knew that I had no need to ask him for his help.
The sun was already helping me.
His return that morning was a sign.
I could borrow the sun for my project whenever I wanted.

6 comments:

  1. Now that's really good...the metaphor of the sun that represents "will power". I think you should submit this somewhere and see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun one to write. It came together really quickly, during an couple of afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any possible places on that list of writing websites where you could submit it? I think its definitely worth a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one too. It made me think of the house, which is like comfort food, really. It also made me think that I should get some writing done today while the sun is shining on my computer screen. Keep up the good work, Geoff. I had a sort of vision of a web site that we could start to get writers to post their work. I want to see if I can make it happen, and this kind of stuff is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are. I am going to review some of the better ones and send off something, hopefully this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sandi. I agree about the place for us to submit our work. I'd like to see more pics from Lauren, more drawings from Bob, more writing from you, and more music from Allyson. We all have the time, it's a matter of doing it.

    ReplyDelete